Saturday, July 23, 2011

NORTHERN CATCH- 25

NORTHERN CATCH: IN MUSTARD



APPEARANCE:



NUTRITION:
Calories 140
Sodium 460 mg
Total Fat 8 g
Potassium 270 mg
Saturated 1.5 g
Total Carbs 2 g
Polyunsaturated 1.5
Dietary Fiber 0g
Monounsaturated 3.5 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 15 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Vitamin A 75.8% Calcium 233.1%
Vitamin C 0.4% Iron 1.6%



PRODUCT OF:
CANADA

INGREDIENTS:
Sardines,water,Mustard flour,Acetic Acid, Modified Cornstarch, Turmeric & Turmeric Extractive, Xantham Gum, Spices



PRICE: .79

OVER ALL:
Mustard aroma upon opening, four large, semi soft fish. A tad bit spiny,mustard has a nice flavor to it. Doesn't over power the fish. Not much of an after taste.A decent tin of fish, I would eat again. 4 sardines





NORTHERN CATCH: IN WATER




APPEARANCE:



NUTRITION:
Calories 130
Sodium 200 mg
Total Fat 7.0 g
Potassium 300 mg
Saturated 1.5 g
Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 1.5
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Monounsaturated 4.0 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 20 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Vitamin A 2% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 25% Iron 8%

PRODUCT OF:
CANADA

INGREDIENTS:
Sardines, Water

PRICE: .79

OVER ALL:
No strong aroma upon opening.. Three large fish to a tin, hell there is room in the tin for another whole sardine in this tin. A very firm, spiny, almost hard texture. They taste as if you just caught it and let it sit in the sun a spell. Not sure what these would be good for, except turtle bait or cat food ( with no salt) Would not eat again, but, for the price, I would use them for bait. No sardines







NORTHERN CATCH: IN SOYBEAN OIL



APPEARANCE:




NUTRITION:
Calories 150
Sodium 240 mg
Total Fat 9.5 g
Potassium 320 mg
Saturated 2 g
Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 3.0
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 4.0 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 17 g
Cholesterol 100 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 25%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 8%


PRODUCT OF:
CANADA

INGREDIENTS:
Sardines,Soybean Oil

PRICE: .79

OVER ALL:
No over powering when cracked open. Three large pieces. They are very spiny, its like having crackers already inside of the fish. Not a bad tasting fish, not a flavorful one ether. Would be better in a spread or the likes. Oil really doesn't add any flavor to them. Not sure if I would buy again. 2 1/2 sardines.

10 comments:

  1. You are perhaps the greatest sardine reviewer in the world. You're a tough critic, and I like that. I hesitated opening my northern catch sardines in spring water, but they weren't too bad. I'm expecting to love your five sardine reviews. How many sardines do you eat a week? What is your preferred cracker and hot sauce? Have you ever though of reviewing canned herring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sardines in mustard. On the can it says salt added. On the nutritinal website it says no salt added. Which one is correct salt or not salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received the nutrition value from Bumble Bee on Northern Catch Sardines.(Bumble bee is one of two corporations that control all of the states sardine distribution) all info is correct on this site. They do have sodium.

      Delete
  3. Nice review! I love your website. I'm also a lover of sardines for several reasons: 1) I now camp year round about 6 days a week. 2) Sardines are super convenient 3) Omega 3's...

    Aldi's oil packed sardines are okay - I think they're the best of the Alid sardine offerings. I can't do the fishes in water. :(

    I'm really enjoying your blog. I also maintain a blog - it's for people who vehicle camp, convert vans into RVs and such. I will link to your blog and recommend it.

    Bradford
    http://vantrekker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading your posts. I go to the Aldi Sardines in mustard as choice, mostly due to their costs and good flavor. However, recently the can changed to match the packed in oil where there are now only 3 slightly larger sardines to the can. I'd like to read an updated review of what you'd think of those ones now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Thanks for the update on the change. I'll pick up a new tin.

      Delete
  5. I love your mustard sardines, awesome taste, I have one to two cans everyday. They are good in grits, J.Morris Sumter South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review! Little did I know 2 months ago I polished of what was the last can of Underwood brislings in mustard on earth. Been on a tear to find a good sub. The Northern Catch was a large fish but very good sauce. I'm getting 2 cases King Oscar brislings coming real soon. I guess I should have been eating the Underwood brand more, maybe they would have keep the plant open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, why on some revieviews(in mustard) calcium content is 233%, on other (in water) no calcium. Does all calcium comes from mustard??how I can verify cholesterol content(80g), other sites 0%. please explain.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be some typos, calcium does not come from the mustard. I'll locate the nutrition sheet and fix that.

      Delete