Monday, June 1, 2015

A Day in The Life...



I'm fortunate to be able to experience and try different tinned sardines from all over the world, and I am fortunate to be able to chat with other Sardine Eaters and Sardinistas world wide.

2014 Donation

As most of you Sardine Eaters know, I always donate sardines to a local food bank each year, and I will continue to do so. As of yesterday, I will start taking more actions in donating sardines to the Sardine Eaters in need.


I was in Charlotte, NC yesterday, and as I approached the intersection on Independence Blvd, to exit onto 85, I noticed on each corner at the exit ramps and under the stop lights were homeless people. Most of them were holding signs up, reading the assorted need help/Jesus loves you bit. I was one vehicle behind to being first at the stop light, next to the median. On the median stood an older black man, skinny in appearance, short wiry white beard, clothes worn with wear, with a small black bag crumpled up at his feet. He held no sign, nor did he run to the window asking for money; he simply threw up his hand and waved and smiled a yellow jack o' latern smile. All I had to offer was Sardines.  I had just bought several cases. Living in a world of plastic, I hardly ever have cash on hand any more.

I asked him, "Do you eat Sardines?"
A few tins to get me started. 
"Sardines!? Yeah! I like Sardines!" he replied.  I reached around grabbing a handful of five tins, handing them out the window to him. His eyes lit up, and with a big smile he took the sardines joyfully, thanking me repeatedly.  While holding the sardines aloft in his right hand, he walked with a bit of a limp back to where his cloth bag lay crumpled up on the median.  As he put the sardines in his bag, I could here him say, "I'm going to eat tonight." He leaned back onto the sign post in the median waving and thanking me again. Seeing his excitement and sincere appreciation for receiving the sardines, I grabbed another handful of five tins and handed them out for him. I wished that I had had a sleeve of crackers to have offered him. I hope the ten tins made up for it.

While I post occasionally on Mouth Full of Sardines social media accounts of people stealing sardines from stores, and even getting arrested for sardine theft,  most of these people are just looking for food. Just four days ago in Mooresville, NC,  I had a bag of sardines pulled from my vehicle through a window gap that I did not think was big enough for an arm to slip in.


No Sardine Eater should be without sardines. Most food banks never receive sardines. I've never heard of a sardine brand/company giving back to the community. Hell, circumstances in life are always a gamble. It could be me one day out there holding a sign.



I'm going to start placing a few sardine packages in my bag on days I'm going to be in cities, containing six tins, a sleeve of crackers, and utensils. And if I happen across a fellow Sardine Eater in need, I'll hand him the fish package.






As I've mentioned before, sardines are truly the food of mankind. No matter nationality, race, religious views, or socioeconomic status, sardines are the one food enjoyed by all.  Remember to share a tin with your fellow man.
Two of my buddies, Matt and Thomas' sharing a tin at the Lineville River in the gorge. 




Keep popping those tins, Sardine Eaters!

4 comments:

  1. Great story! Keep on circulating the sardines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great. I confess I rarely think of giving sardines, as when I make a find younger shop clerks especially think sardines are horrible.

    Yes, the only religions that would exclude sardines are the most strictly vegetarian ones.

    And they are extremely nutritious, unlike the "mystery meat" tins often donated. Moreover, most have pulltops nowadays.

    ReplyDelete